Nattokinase is a powerful fibrinolytic enzyme that is extracted from a traditional Japanese food called Natto. Natto is similar to cheese and is made from fermented soybeans. The fermentation process is carried out by adding the bacteria, Bacillus natto to boiled soybeans and as the bacteria acts on the soybeans, nattokinase enzyme is released. Because of the innumerable nattokinase benefits, it is becoming increasingly popular as a dietary supplement all over the world. Now let’s see what these benefits are:
- Regulates blood pressure – Nattokinase is capable of lowering blood pressure levels by inhibiting the action of the enzyme ACE (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme), which is responsible for narrowing the blood vessels and increasing the blood pressure.
- Thrombolytic effect – Nattokinase has the ability to remove thrombus (clotting) in the body by dissolving the fibrin that holds the platelets together. This is similar to the way plasmin enzyme works. Plasmin is a natural enzyme produced by the body which helps to break down fibrin and hence prevent unnecessary blood clotting. But the production of plasmin decreases as people grow older, in which case nattokinase supplements can help to perform the same functions of plasmin. It also helps to increase the body’s production of plasmin and urokinase (an enzyme that converts plasminogen to plasmin).
- Enhances blood circulation – Nattokinase helps to improve the circulation of blood by preventing the hardening and narrowing of arteries.
- Prevents heart disease- This enzyme has blood thinning effects, which allows the free flow of blood throughout the body. It also helps in preventing the formation of plaque arteries, hence reducing the risk of arterial clotting and other heart related problems.
- Prevents osteoporosis – Nattokinase is a rich source of vitamin K2, which helps to prevent the development of osteoporosis and also stops it from getting worse.
- Anti-aging effects – Nattokinase is also a rich source of vitamin B2, which has natural and effective anti-aging properties. Vitamin B2 along with the high protein content of this enzyme helps to keep the skin healthy and young.
- Regulates cholesterol – Since nattokinase has blood thinning properties, it effectively helps in reducing the cholesterol levels, thus preventing many health complications.
- Studies reveal that nattokinase has the ability to dissolve the amyloid deposits that are believed to be responsible for causing Alzheimer’s disease
- Offers relief from migraine headaches
- Improves the bone density and reduces pain in the muscles and joints
- Helps to keep hair healthy and prevents hair loss
- Helps in treating uterine fibroids
- Nattokinase has the potential to prevent the occurrence of hemorrhoids, stroke, varicose veins, and muscle spasms
- This enzyme also has antibacterial effect and hence has been used in the olden days to prevent cholera, typhoid and dysentery
In addition to the above mentioned benefits, nattokinase also has the advantage of being less expensive, efficient, and easy to administer with long lasting effects. Since it is a naturally occurring substance, it is safe without any major side effects what so ever. Nattokinase is a therefore, wonderful ingredient that can be added to your diet in order to improve the overall health of your body.